Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Beginning

I started what I call my "green journey" a few years ago. It started with recyling. We moved into our new house and with curbside pick up there was really no excuse not to. Well... except forgetting to take it to the curb.

My next big step (and what is probably my journey's real beginning) began with a New Years resolution. Not a New Years resolution to go green, but a new years resolution to get off my butt and keep a clean house. I was tired of scrambling around the house trying to clean up before company came over so I made a resolution to clean the house every week so that I would be ready for anyone who came by.

I did pretty good with my resolution, but I started to get an alergic reaction to the cleaning products so I decided to do what I'd been saying I was going to do for a year or so - I went to natural cleaning products. I was unnaturally afraid of being "greenwashed" so I started making my own cleaning products using vinegar and baking soda.

That step snowballed into other "greener" practices. The thought that the chemicals in those product caused my allergic reaction got me thinking about other chemicals - in my food and in the plastics I stored my food in. So I decided to make some changes. In this blog I am going to talk about some of the changes I've made and some of the challenges I've had going "green."

No comments:

Post a Comment