Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Homekeeping



One of my coworkers asked me about the cleaning products I used and mentioned that his wife was now making her own laundry detergent. I've heard that you can do this, but I haven't made any myself. She's hardcore!

In honor of my co-worker's wife, today's post will be about the "recipes" I use for some of my cleaning solutions. Not only are they "greener" but they are a lot cheaper. I started making my own products when I had an allergic reaction to a chlorine bleach based spray a few years ago. It took a little while for The Hubby and I to get used to the vinegar smell, but now we associate this smell with "clean." Most green cleaners require a bit more elbow grease, but I think your health is worth it.

A lot of the "ingredients" for the solutions can be purchased in bulk.


Vinegar for instance



This is a ridiculously large bag of baking soda.


I guess some people use baking soda to control the alkalinity of swimming pools. This must be why they need a 12 lb bag of baking soda. This makes your stainless steel sink in the kitchen shine!


Castile soap



This particular bottle is scented with peppermint. Dr. Bronner's has lots of different scents like Rose and Eucalyptus.


Tea Tree Oil

Tea Tree is known as a mold and mildew killer.


Now for the "recipes."

For an all purpose cleaner:

In a spray bottle mix 1 part vinegag and 1 part water. Add a few squirts of castile soap for some grease cutting power and shake.

This does an excellent job of getting the grime out of the microwave. If you want to sanitize add a few drops of tea tree oil. Don't use a lot because a little goes a long way


For an abrasive cleaner:

Just mix baking soda with a few drops of Castile soap until it forms a paste.


I use this on bathroom sink bowls (toothpaste be gone!) and the tub and shower.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, its been a while since you last posted...pick up the slack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rosa told me about your blog so I had to check it out. She said we had a lot in common and I'd say she's right. I use vinegar and baking soda to clean everything too! You definitely get used to the smell and it disappears so quick. My favorite thing is you can drink a cup of coffee and clean the kitchen at the same time and it's not gross at all, unlike the poison I used to use to clean with, I didn't want to eat for hours afterward it smelled so bad! The book I read from the library that has lots of good info is by Ellen Sandbeck called "Organic Housekeeping: In which the Non-toxic Avenger...."---incredibly long title but incredibly useful!

    ReplyDelete