Wednesday, August 12, 2009

CSA Day!


It's CSA day again. This week we had lots of yummy vegetables in our bag.

There were some big ripe tomatoes.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with them yet, but it's not hard to find a use for tomatoes.

These were new this week.


The Hubby asked me to make him an eggplant casserole. My grandmother makes it at most of our holiday gatherings. It's like crack casserole. It's the first thing to go at all the family gatherings. At Easter there was almost a fight over the last helpings. (I've included the recipe at the end of this post)

Green peppers were also part of our bag.

One of these guys will be used in the eggplant casserole.

Once again, cucumbers made an appearance.

I'm seriously running out of ideas for these. We've made pasta salad, tzatziki and cucumber salads galore. I'm all tapped out.

Zucchini and Squash make a repeat performance.

I love these guys. I never get tired of them. I love them roasted, grilled and sauteed.


I promised the recipe for my grandmother's eggplant casserole. This can be frozen before you bake it. It takes some time but it's so worth it.


Eggplant Casserole

1 eggplant peeled, cubed
4 slices of bacon
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 quart diced tomatoes
1/4 cup sugar
7 slices of bread
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided
salt and pepper

Boil eggplant in salt water until tender. In a large skillet, fry bacon slices until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and saute onion and pepper until onions are soft and translucent. Add tomatoes and heat through. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then take off heat. Crumble bread slices into bread crumbs. Add breadcrumbs, crumbled bacon slices, 1/2 cup of cheese, and drained eggplant to tomato mixture and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a ceramic baking dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Sweet - Eggplant Caserole....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eggplant. That is something I need to add to my garden next year.
    I've actually never cooked with it, but I've wanted to.

    ReplyDelete